Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-12, 10:55 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Going through a transformation

I am not really sure why I feel inclined to share something that will be pretty much meaningless to everyone who is not me, but here I go anyways LOL. When I graduated high school I was tipping the scales at 160lbs soak and wet. After high school I kept working out and got bigger but I was putting on weight in muscle rather than fat. Over the years a combination of getting a little older and being married with a child I have packed on some weight, to the point where I weighed 205lbs. I have been very unhappy with myself for a few years now and rather than fix the problem I guess I was just content to piss and moan about it. Well as of last week I have had enough. I made a goal to get back down to 175lbs by eating much smarter and exercising. I started last Thursday and I am down 7lbs so as of today. As I get older I am seeing more and more of the guys who I went to school with that have just let themselves go and I started to realize just how sad it is that I did the same thing myself. I was a big athlete in school and never would have thought I would ever be out of shape like this. Now I am looking foward to being in shape again and not being so tired all the time. I really think this will help my tournament fishing as well because the last two hours of the tournament have always been the biggest grind for me and I know it's because I am in such poor shape.
Old 06-26-12, 11:34 PM   #2
nofearengineer

I understand, Kory.

This might be useless information to anyone who hasn't met me, but at age 21 I weighed about 235 lbs (not much more than you were at...and at 6'5"). Of course, a lot of my current situation is due to rupturing a disc in my back and the resultant nerve damage, but yeah, most of it is due to the "poor me" thing.

Post a pic when you get back to fighting weight. Maybe it might inspire some broke-backed fat-arse to make some improvements.
Old 06-26-12, 11:45 PM   #3
keithdog

It's funny you chose now to start this Kory. I've been ready to start the same sort of program and tomorrow is the kick off date. I plan to loose 40 -50 pounds by Christmas. I know it's going to help my legs and my heart big time, and every time I look in the mirror, I don't like what I see. I was at my ideal weight a few years back and felt great. I can't wait to get back to that weight again! Good luck pal.
Old 06-27-12, 12:29 AM   #4
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

This is awesome guys! Hell I'll root for you! I was heavily into bodybuilding, powerlifting, dieting, exercise for many years. I still have resources and have forgot a lot, but if I can help in anyway let me know. I am by no means an expert or certified in anything, I'm willing to share whatever I can though. Git 'er done...Good luck!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 12:53 AM   #5
Bassboss

Sounds like fun!

I love this kinda stuff, weights, nutrition... all this fitness stuff is what makes me tick now! Hard to believe I never worked out until freshman year. How did I live with myself? lol

I can't wait until after high school football (but at the same time don't ever want it to end) to start really leaning down and cutting.. basically getting, and looker ripped! Right now I gotta stay pretty big for football, but afterwards, that's a different story!

Have fun with it Kory, setting and reaching fitness goals is one of the most fulfilling you can do. And hey, since we're at it, what were you max weights for the basic lifts (Bench, Squat, Military press, and deadlift)? If you remember that is! lol
Old 06-27-12, 08:18 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Have fun with it Kory, setting and reaching fitness goals is one of the most fulfilling you can do. And hey, since we're at it, what were you max weights for the basic lifts (Bench, Squat, Military press, and deadlift)? If you remember that is! lol
Man Sammy, I have slept several times since those days. My max bench was 245lbs I believe, and that is the only lift that I remember well enough to say. I know I held the school record for military press, (it may have been broken by now I don't now) but I can't remember the weight. On the other hand I also had the title of the fastest kid in high school through the 40 yd dash. I ran a 4.4 40 yard dash.
Old 06-27-12, 09:22 AM   #7
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I am not really sure why I feel inclined to share.....
Secret, unspoken goals don't usually pan out. Odds of success go way up when you speak them. I'm pulling for you. The baggage that obesity brings goes way beyond the obvious.
Old 06-27-12, 11:02 AM   #8
WaffleJaw

Kory,...Im glad you shared.
You have no idea how I relate to this!..I gained close to 40lbs when I got married...We get so comfortable its easy to lose track..Plus we look in the mirror and think ''meh,she'll still do me'' haha...
I tipped the scales at 232lbs last October and made my change right then...Eating smarter and getting as much exercise as I can...Not so much lifting...Im satisfied with my muscle size (if thats the right phrase)...I just do push ups/pull ups and various exercises using my own body weight as resistance to tone....Disc golf 3xtimes a week,and a another reason why I love kayak fishing...Because its a bit of work just to get on the water.

From October - January Ive lost 27lbs with a goal weight of 185lbs....No crazy diets..Just simply burning more than I take in and cutting out a lot of sugar.
Since January Ive managed to maintain 205lbs with very little fluctuations..Which tells me Im managing my food fairly well..I still slip like any human but I still like my foods
Im about to make another push for the rest of the weight off...The last few months have been very busy for me.

You got this dude!...Good luck and keep up the progress...
Heres a little side by side of mine for inspiration ,hahaha

Old 06-27-12, 03:29 PM   #9
Abbeysdad

great...be sure and do some extry push ups and push aways fer me while I do power napping!
Old 06-27-12, 03:55 PM   #10
1/4 stick

Thanks for sharing and keep us updated. I was always and overweight kid, but went to work when I was 16 bagging grocieries. Dragging those shopping carts in during that summer dropped my wieght from close to 300 down to 180 and my wieght maintained between 180 - 210 up untill my mid 20s. Then between drinking too much beer and working in a cooler all day with very little oppertunity to sweat, my wieght started going back into the 250 range. And now that I've been on disability, I'm back up to 280-290.
That been partly my excuse for not stopping smoking for fear of putting on even more weight.
Like NoFear said, you may inspire a broke down fat ex meat cutter to make two leaps into fittness and drop the smokes and get off his butt and work out to lose a few pounds. I wish you success.
Old 06-27-12, 07:35 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Fellas, thanks for all the words of encouagement. Congatulations to Keith, Walker, and all the other guys who are on their way to getting to where they want to be. Walker I mean this in a totally heterosexual way, but you are looking great man LOL. I am glad that when you lost your weight your beard didn't get lost too.
Old 06-27-12, 08:04 PM   #12
nofearengineer

That's a beard?!?!?

I thought a baby beaver had attacked his face while kayaking, and hadn't let go yet!
Old 06-27-12, 08:49 PM   #13
lilmule

Nice goals dont over do the exercise in the heat and do eat properly.
Wish you luck even though im opposite weighed 118 most of my life got old chest fell and im 132 and happy,so went from a toothpick to one with bulge in the middle.
If I could take 20 lbs of it id be happy and you as well.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 09:22 PM   #14
Jrob78

Good for you Kory. It's important to feel good about the way you look. It's also important to be healthy. I wish you the best of luck!
Old 06-27-12, 09:55 PM   #15
bamabassman

kory...at the age of 28 iweighed only 145 pounds. yes i know it's hard to believe. but having gone through a horrible marraige and not eating, working 2 jobs full time and not having a thing to show for it. my health went down. now after almost 23 years of blissful marriage to the best gal i'll EVER know, i now weigh 236 (weighed last friday at teh doctors office). and yes i drink too many coca-colas and dews and eat too many reeses cups. BUT i am trying to drink more water now instead of cokes. i applaud oyu on getting back in shape. i am not gonna do the things i SHOULD do as far as quiting smoking (yes i know i shouold) or stop drinking cokes and dews NOR give up my reeses. but i will try ok? and i know how bryce feels having BOTH parents and a sister go trhough the back problems, i too have a bad back from overdoing things in the past. so i am behind oyu my friend. and like bryce said...maybe it'll help some of us older folk get inspired to do more ourselves. keep us posted ok?
Old 06-27-12, 11:56 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
kory...at the age of 28 iweighed only 145 pounds. yes i know it's hard to believe.
I believe it. When Britney and I got married almost 8 years ago I had a 28-29 inch waist. We used to have trouble finding me jeans that were long enough to fit me and at the same time not fall off my *** LOL. I remember having to wear mesh shorts under my jeans instead of underwear because the shorts would make the jeans fit tighter so they would stay up hahaha. Man did I ever solve that problem, now I have a 32 inch waist which still isn't that bad but I would be thrilled if I can split the difference and get my waist size down to 30 inches or so.
Old 06-28-12, 08:49 AM   #17
bassboogieman

It's so much easier being fat. Unfortunatly, our current society makes it difficult to maintain a decent weight. Individuals really do have to make an extremely consious effort to do so and it is not easy. Convienience foods, fast food, poor nutrition in our schools (due to cost) and the shift in the type of work we do all contribute to getting fat. I just breifly mention soft drinks - every one knows how much we enjoy them and how much sugar they add to the diet without us thinking about it.

Lifestyle is what it's about - most of us do not have jobs that entail manual labor, we have moved (as a society) to more white collar work, exercise while at work is non-existant for the majority of us. We also live a hectic life as most of us work (mentally as opposed to physically) so time is limited for serious exercise. Many try the gym thing, but that is difficult to maintain - personally I find it totally boring. I much prefer exercise through sport or work where it does not seem to me like work, where working out does and soon gets dropped from MY activities.

So for me, the problem began with injuries from my love of sport. Both knees eventually gave out and now both have been replaced. Arthritis limits me now to serious physical work, not to mention my age so yes I am carring too much weight. But I am dieting in an attempt to loose some. About 25 pounds lost so far in the last 5 months. I am also watching what I'm eating. My love of ice cream and pastries has been locked in a box, that box rattles and shakes everytime I go by it, but so far I haven't opened it. It does make a big difference - eliminating empty calories is the key. I avoid fast food resturants like a plague (which it actually is), rarely drink soda (including diet), reduced my beer intake from a case a month to about a case a year, and have reaquainted my stomach with fruit and more vegtables. I'm also avoiding processed foods as much as possible and being retired has helped with that as I have time now to shop and prepare "regular" food.

Will I ever regain my "playing weight" (215 lbs)? No, I know that's impossible, but I can hope to get closer to it than my previous high of 310 pounds on my 6'5' frame. I really didn't look obese at that weght as my chest has always been larger than my waist (52" & 45"), but I was definitely a heavy weight and the waist was gaining. It's good to hear the stories of others, it provides some motovation to continue myself. Thanks for posting Kory and the others for adding their stories too.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 11:40 AM   #18
nofearengineer

Well, unfortunately, the ACA (American Communism Act) was just upheld by the Supreme Court, so your weight issues have been solved. Within 5 years, I bet they will be fining you for having too high of a BMI (body mass index). If you don't lose the weight, the IRS will deduct more of your paycheck until they starve the weight off of you.

This is the best attempt at sarcastic humor I can dredge up right now, as I'm fighting the urge to go jump off the roof of the building.
Old 06-28-12, 04:34 PM   #19
bassboogieman

Quote:
This is the best attempt at sarcastic humor I can dredge up right now, as I'm fighting the urge to go jump off the roof of the building.
Don't jump, some poor bastage may be picking through the corporate trash and you'll squash him.

It just keeps getting worse - Obamacare was upheld by the Supreme Beings, so now us healty folk will be paying for all those unhealthy folks who don't have medical insurance. Obama said all those uninsured people cost us insured folks more money in premiums because they don't pay when they run to the Emergency Room at their local hospital. Now, the Government will give them vouchers so they can get medical insurance. Where is Obama going to get the money for the vouchers? Why, from us working stiffs that have insurance because we work and pay taxes. Obama promised "CHANGE", so what's changed? I pay either freakin' way. I can't win, save me a spot on the roof pal, where the heck is the elevator.............

P.S. BMI means Beyond My Imagination...........
Old 06-28-12, 10:50 PM   #20
MIbasser

Great goal Kory! So far this year I'm smoke free and down a little over 20 pounds. On January 4th I took my last puff and started to run and lift again. I was at 196 pounds (5'8" tall) and I'm now down to 174. I'm running my 2nd 5k this weekend; it's a trail race with obstacles in it. I would have never thought that I would be where I am today, and feel great (I still hate running). I travel often for work so I eat like crap and that is one thing I didn't change (and drinking too!).

Like you I was an athlete in high school and missed being in shape (school record in the 100m dash - 10.86 and still standing) and could have played college football but was more interested in getting a degree instead of a beat up body.

Anyway, good luck and keep at it. I know I have to do it all the time or I'll go back to sitting on the couch.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 09:37 AM   #21
Abbeysdad

Did anybody else notice that when Waffle was bigger, he caught bigger fish!!!

LOL
Old 06-29-12, 04:16 PM   #22
bamabassman

hahaha!!!!!
Old 07-01-12, 09:09 AM   #23
bassboogieman

The bass are the same size, the first one was just held out (Roland Style) to the camera. Waffle on the other hand...............................

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-01-12 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-01-12, 12:25 PM   #24
bamabassman

watch what oyu say about roland bruce.................hehehehe!!! SON!!!
Old 07-02-12, 09:22 AM   #25
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
The bass are the same size, the first one was just held out (Roland Style) to the camera. Waffle on the other hand...............................
wrong. look at the length of the fish (which ins't changed by holding it out). In the first picture, the bass extends nearly from his chin to his waist. The bass in the 2nd photo is clearly a runt.

Obviously as anyone can clearly see, the moral here is that if you lose weight, you'll catch smaller fish!

heheheheheheheheheheh

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.