Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-12, 09:43 PM   #1
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Hummingbirds

Do any of you (or your better halves) put out hummingbird feeders? The little critters are defintely moving south. I have had them in south central KY for about a month now. Temp was 43 this morning and they were tanking up. I would estimate that I have somewhere between 50 - 75 right now and they are working me to death cooking up juice and cleaning feeders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-19_06_33_43.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	8213
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 10:14 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Lucky you! I never put mine out this year, and when I do I'm lucky to have one or two around at some point. But my brother in laws house has a bunch of them. They are pure entertainment to watch.
Old 09-19-12, 11:19 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes we have them out and they've been around. A lot of fun to watch, they are absolutely amazing in flight. They are a lot faster and turn quicker than those dang Lowrancebirds.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 11:39 PM   #4
Jrob78

That's really cool! They are fun to watch. You probably know this, (or know that I'm full of crap) but I heard somewhere that you are supposed to stop feeding them at a certain time of year because they will stay there and die during the winter. With a constant source of food, they won't complete their migration. I don't remember what time of year exactly that is, where I heard that or if it's even true, just throwing it out there.
Old 09-19-12, 11:46 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
That's really cool! They are fun to watch. You probably know this, (or know that I'm full of crap) but I heard somewhere that you are supposed to stop feeding them at a certain time of year because they will stay there and die during the winter. With a constant source of food, they won't complete their migration. I don't remember what time of year exactly that is, where I heard that or if it's even true, just throwing it out there.
I'm certainly no expert on hummingbirds, but at this site I found this info...

"It is also important to note, (and will be mentioned in other locations on this web site), that keeping hummingbird feeders full into autumn, is very important. In fact they should be kept full until a few weeks after the Hummingbirds have not been observed at the feeder.

Hummingbirds will stock up on food before they leave and will be observed at feeders more often in the few weeks before they set out on their journey. Flowers for Hummingbirds have died off in the northern regions of North America. Taking a feeder in, which some people do, for fear of causing them to stay too long, could cause the birds a great deal of stress. Hummingbirds migrate regardless of whether your feeder is empty or full - so keep it full!"
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 11:53 PM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
I'm certainly no expert on hummingbirds, but at this site I found this info...

"It is also important to note, (and will be mentioned in other locations on this web site), that keeping hummingbird feeders full into autumn, is very important. In fact they should be kept full until a few weeks after the Hummingbirds have not been observed at the feeder.

Hummingbirds will stock up on food before they leave and will be observed at feeders more often in the few weeks before they set out on their journey. Flowers for Hummingbirds have died off in the northern regions of North America. Taking a feeder in, which some people do, for fear of causing them to stay too long, could cause the birds a great deal of stress. Hummingbirds migrate regardless of whether your feeder is empty or full - so keep it full!"
Hahahaha, thanks Dean!! See, I said I might be full of crap, happens all the time!
Old 09-20-12, 07:34 AM   #7
Bassin' Gal

I have been feeding hummers for about 15 years now. I had them in AL but never in the numbers that have appeared here in KY. During the summer I usually only have 3 - 5. In mid-August the migration begins and they swarm in and I have to put out additional feeders to keep enough out until I can get home from work each evening to refill them. I do keep at least two feeders available well into November. I have to bring them in at night to keep them from freezing sometimes. I have a sister in Arkansas who had one little hummer at her house until December. They are a lot of fun to watch and we have had several that we have been able to identify for several years in a row.
Old 09-20-12, 08:11 AM   #8
lilmule

I have them from late spring to winter every year not a southerly migration been here all along.I pull them in nov so as not to entice them to stay beyond their time.
Mine are largely ruby throated,subspecies.While the feeders ( I do also have those)are nice planting flowering species like yellow or orange trumpet vine etc are a more natural way of feeding and not so messy.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-12, 10:06 AM   #9
nofearengineer

I hang a feeder right outside my living room window, so I can watch them, and they can provide something interesting for my parrot to watch during the day when I'm not home.

I seem to get only Rufus hummers, not overly colorful, but still fun to watch.
Old 09-20-12, 10:24 AM   #10
bassboogieman

Quote:
I hang a feeder right outside my living room window, so I can catch them, and they can provide something interesting for me to snack on while the Hot Pockets finish up in the microwave.

I seem to get only Rufus hummers, not overly tasty, but still good with a little honey mustard dipping sauce.
That's what you really wanted to say. Go ahead, buddy, admit it...........
Old 09-20-12, 09:13 PM   #11
Bassin' Gal

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
That's what you really wanted to say. Go ahead, buddy, admit it...........

That would be like eating popcorn. You just couldn't get full!!! Loved the Lowrance reference too. I was wondering who would be the first. I was just not clever enough to come up with some type of reference in my OP.
Old 09-20-12, 10:04 PM   #12
bamabassman

we ahve had the beauties for over 3 months here. lisa is cooking up juice mostly twice a week. watching them fight and guard over a feeder is something else,lol. when we lived in south bama, i actually saw a couple kill of an intruder hummer. sad to see, but it is mother nautre. jsut part of it. i find it truly amazing how they fly over the gulf of mexico without stopping. beautiful birds. one of my favorites. love the blue birds too. got a few houses out and gonna add more next year.
Old 09-20-12, 10:55 PM   #13
keithdog

Here is a hummingbird myth I've read about a few times. Don't know if anyone here has ever heard of this. It was believed for many years that hummingbirds used to attach themselves to migrating geese to make the trip south. It was believed they were unable to make the migration all the way on their own strength. I get an image of this in my head and can't help but laugh. haha
Old 09-21-12, 01:21 AM   #14
Tavery5

I like hummers........
Old 09-21-12, 09:03 AM   #15
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I like hummers........
Bad dog....no biscuit!
Old 09-21-12, 09:51 PM   #16
Bassin' Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Here is a hummingbird myth I've read about a few times. Don't know if anyone here has ever heard of this. It was believed for many years that hummingbirds used to attach themselves to migrating geese to make the trip south. It was believed they were unable to make the migration all the way on their own strength. I get an image of this in my head and can't help but laugh. haha

LOL! I have never heard that one before. What a hoot it would be to see a goose with little hummers latched on and hitching a ride!
Old 09-21-12, 10:05 PM   #17
bassboogieman

Quote:
It was believed for many years that hummingbirds used to attach themselves to migrating geese to make the trip south.

What? Really? How?
Oh, no they couldn't do that - could they?
Oh crap, nevermind I don't wanna know. I have so many terrible images banging around in my head now - thanks Ketih.
What if the hummingbird mistook a boy goose for....
Well I guess being that the hummingbird is so small, a guy goose might not mind.
All that much.
Dang can ya imagine - a hummingbird goosing a goose.
Old 09-22-12, 09:08 PM   #18
bamabassman

boogieman....snow blinded already.....

you REALLY need ot get out more often man. lol!
Old 09-23-12, 03:27 PM   #19
nofearengineer

I just took this a few minutes ago. Only had one visitor so far today, but she keeps coming back...the little sugar junkie.

She is pretty proud of herself...

Old 09-23-12, 03:32 PM   #20
bassboogieman

Looks like in BOTH pictures she's sticking her tongue out at ya.
Old 09-23-12, 06:03 PM   #21
bamabassman

she IS sticking out her tounge. maybe she has a crush on your parrot bryce? she IS beautiful. i haven't seen one int he blue color. mostly what we get are the green ones. multi colored ones too. fantastic pics bryce. love it.
Old 09-23-12, 09:03 PM   #22
Bassin' Gal

Fabulous pics! Thanks for sharing. Maybe she will head this way and hang out at my feeders for a while!
Old 09-24-12, 05:30 AM   #23
kennethdaysale

In pic 2 do yall see the ghost of a kittens face emerging from between her breasts or is that too gay even to ask?
Old 09-24-12, 07:46 AM   #24
Bassin' Gal

Good grief! I did notice her breast looked a bit strange but didn't notice the "kitten" until your post. It does look just like one!
Old 09-24-12, 10:11 AM   #25
bassboogieman

If you stare at here breasts long enough................
wow Ken, paying that close attention to a hummingbird's breast?
But, yeah I do see it. Never thought I'd be checking out breasts that tiny, but yeah I see it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.