Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-06, 09:53 PM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default digital camera

hey guys, ive been thinking of getting a digital camera to post pics this year. im looking forward to fishing, ive learned a lot over the whole winter. but then my parents are willing to buy a camera for around 250 dollars. the only thing is, it needs to be rechargable, since if we keep having to buy batteries, we'd run out. any recomentdations?
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 09:59 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Canon S1 IS powershot has a 10x zoom, 3 mp resolution - and a lot of great features. You may be able to find one now for around 250, they are very good cameras. The Sony Cybershots are also good cameras, a little more compact, less zoom - might not cost as much.

Of course you can get a cheap but efficient fishing camera in the area of 100$ at walmart. If its just for fishing, sometimes its better to have a cheap one in case it does fall in the drink.
Old 03-09-06, 10:04 PM   #3
crankybait

not just for fishing, my dad wants to use it for when we visit india too... but itll be with me every fishing trip. and are there any sales coming up soon? i forgot to check on presidents day, too busy buying luremking stuff
Old 03-09-06, 10:32 PM   #4
bassinbob

Cranky, try a Panasonic DMC-LZ2. It has 5 megapixels and a 6x optical zoom. It retails for around $219.00. What is important in digital cameras is not only the megapixels but more so the optical magnification. The Panasonic uses Leica lenes which are among the worlds' best. It also has movie mode and optical image stabilizer. Image stabilzation steadies the shot removing blurred photos. This is IMO a very good camera for a very decent price. I also like Minolta. In my younger years I used Minolta film cameras. Once I read up on the Panasonics and my girlfriend purchased one I am convinced these are good buys.

Bob
Old 03-09-06, 11:00 PM   #5
crankybait

ok ill have to go on bestbuy.com later
Old 03-09-06, 11:00 PM   #6
flfireman

5 mega pixels and above give the best reprints for pictures.
Old 03-09-06, 11:04 PM   #7
crankybait

bassinbobs one is 5 megapixels... i think ill go for it then
Old 03-09-06, 11:36 PM   #8
striker23
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to striker23

Yeah i also have a canon powershot, nice compact size. The picture quality is also very impressive. just about all of the digital cameras are electrically charged , very few use batteries. Even the mid-level cameras take very good digital pictures, so you dont have to get a super-top of the line camera for a very good quality picture.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 12:44 AM   #9
WTL

Well the Powershots are powered by 4 AA sized batteries, but what you do is get the rechargeble batteries...which last forever in this camera. Also for landscapes the powershot is the best, tha 10X zoom is supurb - I would go to football games with it and the pictures were worthy of being in the newspaper they were so close.
Old 03-10-06, 02:28 AM   #10
LoneStarAngler07

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

i have a powershot and they take batteries..look online for something rechargable...i had one that was but the screen went out, so i wouldnt reccomend mine to you.
Old 03-10-06, 08:39 AM   #11
Christopherkeene9

Sorry but I gotta bash here because its called for, DONT go with sony, cannon, or panasonic, and you don't need 5 megapixels unless your blowing it way up! Another reason is that some of the cannon's or sony's needed THEIR batteries or memory cards not just anyone. Go with a nikon or pentax. I have the coolpix 4600 and it was only around $200 but has great shots. And you can use 2 rechargable AA's. And a regualar SD card that you can find and buy anywhere.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 08:46 AM   #12
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9
Sorry but I gotta bash here because its called for, DONT go with sony, cannon, or panasonic, and you don't need 5 megapixels unless your blowing it way up! Another reason is that some of the cannon's or sony's needed THEIR batteries or memory cards not just anyone. Go with a nikon or pentax. I have the coolpix 4600 and it was only around $200 but has great shots. And you can use 2 rechargable AA's. And a regualar SD card that you can find and buy anywhere.

Chris
Thats right you dont need that many megapixels. I have a Nikon N600 i guess you could say its old school now since its not digital. but they do make very good cameras. And do beware of what chistopher mentioned about the memory cards, I know just about all sony products only use sony memorystick so you will have to buy one and you cant use it for anything else.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 09:02 AM   #13
JB

I use the Cannon Rebel, best one out there, but they do go through batteries like crazy, your best bet is get a couple of rechargable A's and start snappin!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 10:16 AM   #14
Bender

My brother who is on here occasionally just got a Rebel EOS XT this week, that is a lot of camera. A couple years ago I bought an Olympus for my mom since it is water resistant. I don't know if they make that model anymore but it makes sense for fishing. It looks like the Stylus 600 has replaced it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 05:08 PM   #15
bassinbob

No, bashing is not needed here. The Panasonic I recommended is a very good camera for the price. It has a ton of desirable qualities. Leica lenses-one of the best in the world. It has 6x optical zoom which is necessary for a better pic. The higher the optical lense the better the camera. Total zoom is optical times the digital magnification. So in effect a 6x optical x a 4x digital gives you 24x zoom. Lesser cameras have around 2x or 3x optical lenses. Read up on digital cameras. They have magazines that go over cameras, so do the camera sites on the web. Once again for a camera that retails for around $219.00 and has that many features IMO is worth it. Especially the Leica optical lense.

Bob
Old 03-11-06, 07:03 PM   #16
crankybait

can i taske self- pics with it? i fish a lone, so nobody can take the pic for me

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.